Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Yesterday's Laughter But a Dim Memory

as I begin compiling a list of agents to query. It seems likely I will be doing this for the rest of 2007. It is shocking how many agencies are closed to even query letters unless you are personally recommended by a current client. One agency virtually threatened legal action should you try to contact them in any way.
Recently universities hiring new professors have begun streamlining their process, making what they require more standardized. But it seems like agents stubbornly insist on individualizing their requirements. There is hardly one name on my list that asks for the same set of things. Google an agent and it takes many tries to actually get the information you need, too
This is why I gave up last year. I only had 12 letters in me then. I am going to New York in three weeks for three weeks, I will do it till then at least. Maybe I can knock at doors while I'm there. I think John Boy Walton did this on The Waltons.
If anyone knows of an agent who's open to a new client, let me know. It's a 72, 000 wrd ms. Suspense.

12 comments:

Steven said...

Are you going to be going to any of those conferences where you can pitch your story to an agent Live?

Sluethfest is one, I think.

Anonymous said...

Have you considered the St. Martin's Minotaur/MWofA Best first crime novel competition.
www.minotaurbooks.com/competitions.html

It's not an agent, but it might be a foot in the door at the publishing house.

Anonymous said...

And...do you know any of the editors yet? I'm probably working from an outdated model, but I gather that if you get a novel accepted (assuming you have a house that will take an unagented ms.), that will help in getting an agent. That (assuming) clause is where knowing an editor who will look at and then make an offer on your ms. is the fun part.

I've heard/read too many flaky agent/agency stories to think that killing one's self to get one is worth even a fraction of the effort. But, are all the publishers closed to unagented mss.?

pattinase (abbott) said...

I've been considering going to Love is Murder in Chicgo where several smaller houses set up shop. I don't know if there are agents there though.
I definitely am considering the St. Martin's contest. I know no editors. I don't think I can sneak in that way but who knows. If I thought it fit Hard Case Crime I'd try that, but it's more suspense than hard-boiled, I thinkg

pattinase (abbott) said...

You know looking at the St. Martin rules, I'm not sure my novel is what they're looking for. But I'll probably give it a shot anyway.

Sandra Ruttan said...

Patti, last I heard my agent was considering expanding his fiction clientele. I've just been quiet about it because I wouldn't refer someone unless I'd read their work, but I've published yours.

Sandra Ruttan said...

Oh, and the other consideration is to get on Publishers Marketplace and indicate you're looking for an agent. You can also search on there for agents accepting queries. Just a thought, in case you aren't already there.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Oh, I now see that I was reading the contest for Malice Domestic and maybe my novel does apply.

Anonymous said...

I believe the first contest co-sponsered by Mystery Writers of America is the only one still open. The Malice contest winner was announced in the spring and the PI contest winner was announced at Bouchercon with the Shamus awards. Not sure when they'll open the other two for submissions again. I believe all three contests are a yearly thing.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Thanks, Sandra.

Ed Gorman said...

I guess I'm not up on the current state of agenting. I know it's tough to get one but agents who won't read query letters? Wow THAT's discouraging.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I guess everyone's written a novel in the last few years, flooding their in-boxes. I'm very lucky to have a few friends who've asked their agents to look at it. And I will attend the agent conference in NY next month. Even if nothing ever comes of it, I don't regret writing it. I learned so much. After 35 short stories, it was time to at least try. Thanks for your kind comment.