Tuesday, October 09, 2007

He Sure Can Cook

I have the world's best husband and anyone who knows him will agree. Last night, a Monday night, I came home to grilled veal chops with rosemary, grilled pears, a baked sweet potato squash with cherries, brown sugar, and pecans, and a salad of yellow tomatoes, avocado and leaf lettuce. People, this is a Monday night! Every night is like this and it's why I've gained 25 pounds since he took over the cooking. He's also the gardener and we have the nicest garden you could imagine. Leaving aside his domestic accomplishments, he's good at everthing else too. The author of 14 books, for one thing, but he still reads everything I write as soon as I hand it to him. It's not his birthday until next week, but happy birthday Phil. How did I choose so well at 18? To the man who has never given me one moment of pain in forty years!

13 comments:

Sandra Ruttan said...

Wow, happy birthday Phil! Although yesterday was Canadian Thanksgiving...

pattinase (abbott) said...

Thanks, Sandra. I know just how lucky I am.

Anonymous said...

Does he hire out? I wonder sometimes if we don't know more about love at 18 than 30. At 18, you just go with the feelings instead of thinking it to death. Happy Birthday, Phil!

pattinase (abbott) said...

That's a great insight, Sandra.

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a wonderful peek into a successful marriage that has lasted the test of time in a big way. ... Happy birthday to your husband, and congratulations to you both on 40 happy years of marriage.

pattinase (abbott) said...

The secret to the longevity in my marriage was I married Phil. I know of no other reasons for it.

Anonymous said...

I want to marry Phil.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I didn't take you for a May-December guy.

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday soonish to your man, and congratulations to you both (I must admit that the juxtaposition of your headline with that photo made me wonder what his recipe for infant Megan might be).

pattinase (abbott) said...

Infant Kevin but you're right. He had a bit more hair with infant Megan at age 25. Ha!

Anonymous said...

I remember one time as a student in an American politics seminar with Phil, a student dozed off. This was an uncommon occurence in Phil's lectures. He's one of the best. Suddenly the student began to snore loudly. Everyone waited to see what the professor was going to do. Phil just smiled that great youthful grin of his and said: "Now, that is a first." He broke the class up which woke the snorer who joined in on the humorous moment.

Happy Birthday Phil!!!

pattinase (abbott) said...

It sounds more mythical than true but we hope it happened.

Anonymous said...

I've been known to embellish my stories, but this one is true. It happened in an undergraduate class of American Political Culture. The student was James, he was unforgettable because of a horrible handicap; he was armless and legless, a torso if you will, and road a motorized wheel chair around campus. Half way through the class, he dropped off and then a short time later started sawing wood. And Phil was cool and cracked that great line. I couldn't make this up!