Friday, August 03, 2007

Nana blogday

Although in a sense this entry is about communication.
Yesterday Kevin learned how to clap his hands and yell "yea" at the same time. We all did it with him a hundred times. And then he discovered if he did it first, we would do it back. Communication. It was like the scene in The Miracleworker when Annie gets Helen to understand the sign for water.
Think of the complex action Kevin has learned. He can bring his hands together, he can yell the same sound each time. He do it in response or do it to evoke a response. He can reproduce the same action.
I had my children at age 22 & 23 and this sort of revelation escaped me. I was just looking for the big moves. We only had Dr. Spock to guide us. Glad I'm old enough now to appreciate the small ones now. Yeah, Kevin.

6 comments:

Christa M. Miller said...

Yay Kevin!! What a sweet little face, Patti. And yes, we've been finding the same with our Boris - he loves it when we speak his "language" (babababa, mamamama) and he tries to join in our conversations too. I love it!

Wait till he learns how to write! :D

pattinase (abbott) said...

Christa-I knew you would respond to this. I bet you're the only one. But sometimes I just have to talk about babies. Love ya.

Anonymous said...

I think we're given grandbabies just so we get a chance to see what we missed the first time around. And to ease us into our second childhood. He's a real cutie, Patti. Enjoy, they grow up way to fast. Mine are seven and five and almost past the point where Grandma's kisses take away the hurt. Of course chocolate cake still works.

Dave White said...

Watch Flight. My father actually does watch it every week and loves it. He watches it more than once (which I don't--he's retired) and catches more jokes than I do. If you liked the clip on my blog, then you'll like the show.

(By the way... listening to Dr. Spock? A Vulcan? No wonder Megan turned out the way she did... haha just a joke)

pattinase (abbott) said...

Sandra-From your writing, I thought you were a mother but nor a grandmother. You write young and I don't mean inexperienced but boyant.
Dave-Thanks. And I think we watch it more than once so we can hear the jokes as much as catch them. How about John from Cincinatti?

Dave White said...

I have not watched John from Cincinnati. I was intrigued by the commercials. Maybe on Demand.

I do recommend The Bronx is Burning.