Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Laurel Hill Cemetery


My brother reminded me that I had been to Laurel Hill Cemetery in Philly in 2003 and he had the pictures to prove it. I do remember now eating a cheesesteak at a place near there. All of my memories of Philly revolve around cheesesteaks, the Schuykill Expressway and the Jersey Shore. Can anyone tell me why Laurel Hill is relevant to NoirCon? Was Goodis buried there?
These are my great grandparents. Thomas Morrison's father, a Welsh miner, died of black lung disease and Tom was sent to Girard College in Philly, which took in orphan children in the 19th century and gave them a fine education although their mothers had to relinguish custody.
Tom's mother was a lacemaker from Ireland. A sad story, yes, but Tom went on to Temple Law School and became the City Comptroller of Philadelphia before his death.
Thanks, Jeff for reminding me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I didn't determine whether Goodis is buried in Laurel Hill (did I miss the LHC reference on the NoirCon site? Probably), but I'm impressed by the off-key majesty of Philly's Secret Cinema schedule that I stumbled across while looking:

http://www.thesecretcinema.com/recent.htm

I was aware of their work, though I've managed not to attend over the last decade (must get out more)...seeing their events stacked up like this is somewhat more impressive than seeing them individually in the local weekly papers.

Anonymous said...

BTW, Girard has been the locus of many sorrows...my major previous awareness of it has been as the target of attempts to desegregate it racially in the 1960s...

Anonymous said...

Ah. Perhaps it's simply the proximity to the con-site...Eastern State Penitentiary is a Hallowe'en favorite around here.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I've never been to the state pen either. When I was in school Norristown Mental Hospital captured our imagination at Halloween. But those places are long gone.
He must be bured at Laurel Hill. Why else go there? If I remember it correctly, it was an ordinary place. Not like the one in Concord, MA. I'll look into the cinema site.

louisboxer said...

Laurel Hill Cemetery has a host of famous and infamous characters buried there. David Goodis is buried at Roosevelt Cemetery in Northeast Philadelphia. NoirCon will attempt to show the Noir side of Philadelphia as well as whole host of writers and fans of the Noir. Check out the website: www.noricon.com

pattinase (abbott) said...

Hi Lou-My brother found him there for me. Thanks much. Hope to get there.