Monday, August 24, 2026

Monday, Monday

A very enjoyable movie. Wonderfully acted and filmed. Nice seeing Cape Cod again. I also saw the Spanish film, Romeria, about a young woman trying to put together her parents' story.

I enjoyed having Megan here and watching Josh and her have time to spend together.  We went to three good restaurants and took Megan around Detroit. It seems like an ode to sports with four stadiums with a few miles of each other. Julie and Kevin were able to join us for dinner. Kevin got a job at Wisconsin referring intramural soccer games. 

We went to two great used bookstores and I bought two Jim Thompson novels. Also hit an antique store or we were too tired by then to take purchasing seriously.  

I am really enjoying JOHN ON JOHN. Douglas Stuart can really paint a picture of Scotland. 

TV: MY BRILLIANT CAREER. LANTERN, THE HEART GUY.

How are you? 
 

14 comments:

Margot Kinberg said...

Very glad you could spend some time with family, Patti. It sounds like you've been watching some good Tv/films, too. All that and good reading? Win win!

Jerry House said...

The internet has eaten my pithy and world-shattering remarks twice already this morning. Bah!

In sum, this week gave us rain, lighting, sunshine, alligators (including Big Salty and Maximo), sharks, jellies, an anxious puppy, possible expensive and not very effective treatments for Ellen, portrait planning, jigsaw puzzles, a few books (some good), and no capybaras and no Bingo.

Maybe next week I can go into detail. In the meantime, stay safe and stay happy, Patti. Glad you got to spend time with those you love.

Todd Mason said...

Antiques are a luxury best enjoyed sparingly, anyway. It does read like a rather mostly very good reunion, indeed. Which movie is that a still from?

Jeff Meyerson said...

Glad you got to spend time with your kids.

Jackie is getting her (supposed) numbing shot tomorrow, three weeks before her knee surgery.

For the non-moviegoers in the audience, could you identify that movie?

We tried THE HEART GUY a couple of years ago, but disliked him so much we quit after the first episode.

Jackie loves the new REACHER series, but why did they change it from New York to Philadelphia?

Halfway through the final series (with one more to come) of FOR ALL MANKIND. Two more episodes to go in DUBLIN MURDERS, well enough done but showing why Tana French is just not for me.

If you like tense Special Forces-type shows (hello, George) you should try the French ELITE FORCE on Netflix. It stars the guy who played BALTHAZAR. Very tense.

Too many library books on hand. Finished the second Robert Boswell short story collection (I have one more coming) and nearly done with the Ruth Ozeki.

pattinase (abbott) said...

That's Tony with Antonio Banderas and the young fellow who played Bourdain

pattinase (abbott) said...

You can send them to me and I will post them.

pattinase (abbott) said...

That's from TONY, about Anthony Bourdain.

George said...

Western NY had a rainy weekend. Today feels like Fall: temps in the 60s!

Glad you were able to spend time with Megan. We enjoyed Katie's visit last weekend. Patrick is running an Artificial Intelligence conference in Frankfort , Germany. He plans to visit Istanbul later this week.

REACHER, SEASON 4 is based on GONE TOMORROW. I can only guess the switch of scenes from NYC to Philly is because of cost.

Diane and I watched an interview with Ann Patchett on CSPAN. She is great! Stay safe!

Gerard Saylor said...

Glad to hear your kids were there to visit at the same time.
The weather here has been bearable. I spent the weekend mostly out and about doing some target shooting and mowing the lawn. Our electric mower's battery does not keep a charge as long as it used to. That meant our extra long grass needed three or four charges.
I've been listening to THE FATE OF MERCY ALBAN by Wendy Webb. I'll finish it but do not recommend it. Too many instances where my disbelief was not suspended, but elevated.
Our kitchen remodel now has a start date. We'd already started cleaning out belongings and purging unused items. Now we have to stick to a schedule and get it completed.

Gerard Saylor said...

Jerry, we all know the feeling of a cruel internet.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Remodeling a kitchen is difficult. We grilled everything for weeks.
Who knew how quickly AI would be everywhere

pattinase (abbott) said...

Yes, Margot. I see photos of you protesting. That's great.

Todd Mason said...

Thanks!

Todd Mason said...

Or, at least, a cruel Blogspot. Jerry's blog has a grudge against me.