Monday, August 03, 2026

Monday, Monday

 

Trying to work my way through this ANDOR, which people tell me is great. I am not seeing it yet. Also watching ANNE WITH AN E and FURIOUS on Hulu. 

No movies at the theater this week, but I watched the 1976 version of OBSESSION with Cliff Robertson.And I liked THE DRAMA (HBO) very much.

Two birthday parties this week. Once you are old, people celebrate birthdays like you are eight.

Reading a collection of stories about the Continental Op by Hammett and about to start WHISTLER by Ann Patchett

How about you?  

24 comments:

Margot Kinberg said...

I haven't read Hammett in a while, Patti. Thanks for the reminder. And you know, I never saw Anne With an E when it was first broadcast. I hear it's good, though. I ought to check it out...

Jerry House said...

Lotsa rain, lotsa humidity. There was enough of a break Saturday morning so we could go beaching; despite it being a red flag day there were quite a few people in the water making up for lost time. The sun was behind some clouds so we did not get the scorching heat and there was a cool, gentle breeze to make the day perfect. An accident just ahead of us in the only road to the beach slowed us for about half an hour -- two fire trucks, an ambulance, and a police car. There was no sign of an automobile accident, but there were a lot of people on bicycles at the scene; we think one of the cyclers had a medical emergency. Nobody at the scene was panicking, so I suspect that the issue was not that grave. Hope so, anyway.

This week was Kylee and Ivory's first anniversary. Yay, them! Erin's wedding in April is in the major planning stages with outfits for bridesmaids and groomsmen picked out and a cake tasting scheduled for this week. Both Christina and Jessie have bought their dresses, as well as shoes. Evidently Jack will be the ringbearer and I have been DRAFTED to be the flower boy (!); Jack and I will probably be measured for coordinating suit jackets later this week. All this is leaving me scratching my head.

Christina and Walt had been going to estate sales with Senior and Ellen, because that's what Senior and Ellen do. But lately, Christina and Walt have been going on their own and Christina has been picking up teacups for Erin, because any new bride cannot have enough teacups. So far Christina has bought about thirty-five teacups, with no end in sight. Madness, I tell you.

Senior stopped by earlier to check out his new room when they move in; Senior and Ellen each need their own room for reasons I dare not ask. Ellen's Alzheimer's is getting worse; her handwriting has devolved to that of a first grader -- never a good sign. Walt got a call from Ellen's older sister in Virginia; Ellen's other sister, Kathy, had called her after the visit in The Villages the other week and told her about Ellen's Alzheimer's. (Ellen's family does not do communication very well.) Walt and Christina filled her in. Evidently, Gloria (the sister) and Ellen have not spoken for over twenty years -- their maiden name was Sullivan and the Irish can certainly hold a grudge, even if they have forgotten the reason -- but something like this puts everything in a clearer focus.

Saw the eye doctor and my left eye is doing well. I scheduled surgery on my right eye for late in September.

Did a fair amount of reading this week. Preston and Child's conclusion to the Helen trilogy in the Pendergast series, TWO GRAVES; John Connelly's latest Charlie Parker mystery, A RIVER RED WITH BLOOD; Christopher Golden's Buffy tie-in, SPIKE & DRU: PRETTY MAIDS ALL IN A ROW; Ben Wicky's massive (and outstanding) graphic novel MORE WEIGHT: A SALEM STORY (my FFB); John Saul's horror novel HOUSE OF RECKONING; John Farris's suspense novel with possible supernatural overtones, DRAGONFLY; and a bottom-of-the-barrel Mickey Spillane Tiger Mann spy-guy novel, THE BY-PASS CONTROL.

May August bring you good weather, good health, good luck, and great experiences, Patti. Take care.

Kevin R. Tipple said...

Morning all.... You know, we tried Andor, slogged through the first season, and that was enough. Scott and I thought it was absolute crap.

We did very much like RIDE OR DIE. I think it is on Amazon Prime.

George said...

I thought ANDOR was okay...but not MUST-SEE. The movie that inspired ANDOR--ROGUE ONE--is much better. The mediocre SPIDER-MAN: BRAND NEW DAY took in $355 million over the weekend. Audiences are desperate for Super-Hero movies apparently.

It started raining yesterday morning and it's still raining now. We got 3 inches of rain, but north of us, communities are dealing with flash floods because they got 4-5 inches of heavy rain in a few hours.

The heat returns to Western NY this week, but not the triple digit heat my sister in Tucson, AZ is dealing with. Stay safe!

Jeff Meyerson said...

No Disney or Hulu. We're watching a lot on Apple+ and Britbox and Prime.

No one invites us to birthday parties, so can't comment on that. At this point we definitely do not celebrate birthdays. I do celebrate every day alive, though.

Love the Continental Op stories, and WHISTLER.

Saturday we met my cousins (the ones we see in Florida) at Radio City Music Hall for the matinee of LES MISERABLES: THE ARENA CONCERT SPECTACULAR . It was great. Great seats ( so much more comfortable than the usual Broadway theater), a packed house of nearly 6,000, and when Thenardier's wig came off, I was shocked to recognize him as Matt Lucas, the comedian who co-hosted The Great British Baking Show for two series. Who knew he also did musical theater? Not me. (He's doing Fagin in OLIVER! in London for 6 weeks this Fall.)

This week we have another concert - Jimmy Buffett's Coral Reefer Band - and another show - the first revival of Wendy Wasserstein's AN AMERICAN DAUGHTER. We saw the original production in 1997, then starring Kate Nelligan, Elizabeth Marvel, Lynne Thigpen (who won a Tony), Penny Fuller and Hal Holbrook. It was good, if no SISTERS ROSENSWEIG.

George said...

Both Katie and Diane have read WHISTLER and loved it!

Jeff Meyerson said...

We finished RIDE OR DIE, series 4 of FOR ALL MANKIND, HACKS (as if she was going to kill herself), A TASTE FOR MURDER (Britbox). We're slogging through SUGAR, waiting for the last two episodes.

We've added DEPARTURE (originally on Peacock now on Prime), a Canadian show with 3 series, the first in 2019. It was Christopher Plummer's last, as he died after filming the second series. This should appeal to George. Plummer is the head of the fictional Transport Safety and Investigations Bureau, and brings in Archie Panjabi to run the Investigation when a plane disappears from radat over the North Atlantic.

Also on Prime is OUR GIRL (which Jackie discovered through another show). A trashy, barely working class girl, 18 year old Molly Dawes (Lacey Turner), escapes her dull life and crowded family by joining the Army as a combat medic, and (after a full length pilot) ends up in Afghanistan. Turner left after the first series (2014) to return to EASTENDERS, so they had to bring in another woman for series two, which we aren't up to yet.

THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY (Acorn) is a Welsh cop show starring people who were in HINTERLAND (including star Richard Harrington). The murder of a nurse in the woods seems to echo the killing of two nurses 12 years earlier, and they bring in Harrington's old partner (and former fiancee) , played by Elen Rhys. This one is definitely worth watching. It's from 2025.

FIVE DAYS AT MEMORIAL (2022) is based on the 2013 book about what happened at Memorial Hospital in New Orleans after Katrina after the levees broke. They had NO evacuation plan, unbelievably. Cherry Jones and Vera Farmiga star in this harrowing drama.

Jeff Meyerson said...

George, my sister in Scottsdale is suffering with the heat too.

Jeff Meyerson said...

The show is on Apple +.

pattinase (abbott) said...

It's more realistic than the original Liittle House in dealing with various issues.

pattinase (abbott) said...

You must be a fast reader. That's about a month-worth for me.

pattinase (abbott) said...

My son says the second season is better so I will give it a little longer

pattinase (abbott) said...

It's been a hot summer but generally not long stretches of it.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Have just read the first story in the OP book and am surprised how he lays out the clues early on.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I was afraid to watch FIVE DAYS, so disheartening. Started RIDE OR DIE.

Jeff Meyerson said...

It is difficult to watch. There is a scene in part three where they realize they have to evacuate. They have a helipad outside the hospital, but unlike GREY'S ANATOMY or the like, it's a disaster. They haven't used it on 28 years! The elevator doesn't work. They have to go through the garage and up several ramps, then carry the patient up three rusty staircases that look ready to collapse. It's a nightmare.

RIDE OR DIE is silly in parts, but generally more entertaining.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Silly sounds okay!

TracyK said...

I went to my primary care doctor on Friday for a followup on all my recent issues and related tests. She is still concerned about my continued fatigued, and suggested two tests, but I wanted to wait and see if my health improves on its on. More walking and activities like gardening, once the heat is not so bad, is my plan.

We have started watching YOU'RE KILLING ME with Brooke Shields, and liking it. Also watching the latest season of HARRY WILD with Jane Seymour and rewatching THE ARK seasons 1 and 2 in preparation for season 3. We have been rewatching the Harry Potter movies and last night we watched the 3rd movie, HARRY POTTER AND THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN. I am enjoying watching those movies again more than I expected.

Glen took a break from his nonfiction book HOUSE OF FICTION, and read the 16th book in Parnell Hall's Stanley Hastings series, HITMAN. He enjoyed it as always. That is one of his favorite series and he will only have a few books left to read.

I am reading COUNT THEM ONE BY ONE: BLACK MISSISSIPPIANS FIGHTING FOR THE RIGHT TO VOTE by Gordon A. Martin, Jr. It is a nonfiction book written by a lawyer who went to Mississippi in the early 1960s and worked on a lawsuit against a voting registrar in Forrest County, Mississippi who refused to register black citizens to vote. The book was published in 2010. The story is well written but it is hard to read about the subject matter. I was living in Alabama at the time and not as aware as I should have been of the situation at the time. I was only 13 but still... A depressing read in many ways.

Jeff Meyerson said...

The nee series of Chelsea Detective is on Acorn.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Like you , I have not felt completely well in a while. I slept through an entire movie at the theater on Sunday. The meds I am on for possible AbFib are knocking me out.
I have only seen the first Harry Potter. Should probably watch the rest.
Detroit has many sad stories of its own re: racial issues. For example the story of Ossian Sweet, a black doctor who was run out of his neighborhood and violence broke out. Clarence Darrow defended him.

TracyK said...

Patti, so far no medications have been suggested for my problems. It is no fun to feel unwell a lot of the time, and have problems focusing on things, like reading.

The Harry Potter films are fun and as the actors age, they get less childish (if I remember correctly).

Todd Mason said...

Happy belated, Patti! Sorry to be unprompt.

Todd Mason said...

And sorry for the hassles, Tracy.

Todd Mason said...

A FRENCH VILLAGE, syndicated to PBS stations by Walter Presents, is suitably glum as it deals with the accountability trials in immediately post-WW2 France...not exactly a cheerful viewing, and a bit too close to our current situation in the US, was my best non-comedic viewing tonight.