Friday, August 02, 2024

FFB: INWARD JOURNEY, Ross Macdonald

 from the archives- Bill Crider

FFB: Ross Macdonald's Inward Journey -- Ralph B. Sipper, Editor

Ross Macdonald isn't much read or discussed these days, and when I do see references to him by younger readers, they don't seem to be much impressed with his work.  That's quite a change from past decades, including the 1980s when Ross Macdonald's Inward Journey was published.  The book includes two previously unpublished essays by Macdonald himself and a short but quite poignant one by his wife, Margaret Millar; however in the main it's a tribute to Macdonald's life and work by other writers.  Those who don't think that Macdonald was one of the greats might want to consider what these writers have to say.  I'll give a few examples.

Robert B. Parker:  "It's not just that Ross Macdonald taught us how to write; he did something much more, he taught us how to read, and how to think about life, and maybe, in some small, but mattering way, how to live."

Thomas Berger:  "Ross Macdonald's work has consistently nourished me, at home and abroad.  I have turned to it often to hear what I should like to call the justice of its voice and to be enlightened by its imagination, and, not incidentally, superbly entertained."

Collin Wilcox: "I own Ken Millar more than I can ever repay."

Paul Nelson:  "I remember thinking we come to his novels for comfort in the disaster of our lives, knowing that he and Archer have seen us -- and worse than us -- and will dispense mercy and kindness or, if they turn us over, at least understand."

And so on.  Some of the writers were even inspired to write poems instead of essays.  I've been a fan of Macdonald's work since the first time I picked up one of his books, more than 50 years ago.  Reading Ross Macdonald's Inward Journey reminded me again of why I liked his work so much.  It might do the same for you.  And if you've never read his books, don't read this book first.  Read one of Macdonald's novels first.  The sooner, the better

5 comments:

TracyK said...

I don't think I have heard of that book before, although the design of the cover looks very familiar. But I can certainly look for a copy now, at abebooks or such. It sounds very good. I am not moving very fast on my journey to read all of the books in his Lew Archer series.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I don't think I have ever seen this book and only heard of it on here.

Todd Mason said...

I started reading Macdonald/Millar about fifty years or so ago, as well, in the Robert Arthur and/or Harold Q. Masur HITCHCOCK anthologies, and I memorably read most of his last novel, THE BLUE HAMMER, one night when I was too tired to go into the DC 9:30 Club, so I drove Donna, my womanfriend, to the club and stayed in the car out front during the punk concert while she was inside moshing.(Normally, I wouldn't gone in to see and hear and very occasionally get in the pit.)

I liked it better than its reputation...as I've noted elsewhere, it felt a Whole lot like THE GREEN RIPPER, John D. MacDonald's also-last novel and also-last installment in his most popular series, in his case Travis McGee rather than Lew Archer, beyond that fact and the similar titles. I do think that Bill might've been a little hard on (other) then-recent readers of Mr. Millar's work, though the verdicts on the Rara-Avis discussion list were certainly mixed.

Todd Mason said...

The Mysterious Press trade paperbacks Warner issued had several covers in that style, BTW.

Todd Mason said...

Or, even, I *would've* gone in...the ChromeBooks do that MicroSoft spell-(in)correct thing a Lot.