Wednesday, June 05, 2024

Short Story Wednesday: collected stories of Carson McCullers

 


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO97vU15sp0

The link is to a Suzanne Vega performance based on the work of McCullers. Not sure when it took place.

I read two stories in this collection"Instant of the Hour After" and "A Domestic Dilemma." Written 20 years apart, they both concern alcoholism . McCullers husband suffered from this, eventually committing suicide. 

The early story, written when McCullers was 20, in many ways seemed more modern. It concerns a very young couple where it was already clear that drink is going to ruin their lives. Although they have both been drinking on this occasion, the man is in a real stupor. 

In the second story, it is the woman who drinks. There are two children now and the husband has walked in on two dangerous situations and is prepared to intervene although he blames himself to a degree for taking his wife away from her home town and family. 

I have read THE HEART IS A LONELY HUNTER and THE MEMBER OF THE WEDDING but not in a while. Both were made into terrific movies too. 

George Kelley

Kevin Tipple   (Still not getting this link to work. Will try again later)

TracyK 

Jerry House

8 comments:

Jeff Meyerson said...

I've always meant to read more of McCullers's stuff, and should really look at her short stories. I thought about it over the weekend when we met my cousins downtown. I parked in Brooklyn Heights and we walked to DUMBO, passing Middagh Street near the Brooklyn Bridge, home of the so-called "Febuary House" where McCullers lived in 1941, along with W> H. Auden, Benjamin Britten, Paul Bowles, and Gypsy Rose Lee.

I finished the first of the Carol Shields collections and I'm nearly done with Philip K. Dick's SECOND VARIETY. Several of his dark stories seem quite modern and relevant to our own troubled times. For instance, "War Veteran" will remind you of MAGA fanatics with their behavior.

"They're crazy," LaMarr muttered. "All those morons chanting and marching--"

"They're not morons," Patterson answered mildly. "They're just too trusting. They believe what they're told, like the rest of us. The only trouble is, what they're told isn't true."

He indicated one of the gigantic banners, a vast 3-D photograph that twisted and turned as it was carried forward. "Blame him. He's the one who thinks up the lies. He's the one who puts the pressure on the Directorate, fabricates the hate and violence -- and has the funds to sell it."

His banner says (all caps), "ONLY TRAITORS COMPROMISE!"

pattinase (abbott) said...

I guess there is nothing new under the sun.
I have Shields collected stories waiting at the library if I can get over there.

Jeff Meyerson said...

OK. Downloaded her Collected Stories from the library.

pattinase (abbott) said...

It is always my pleasure, Kevin.

TracyK said...

I do want to read some short stories by this author. I will add her name to the book sale list, and if unsuccessful there, I will seek out some used copies (or Kindle). I cannot say that the two you mention here sound appealing, but that does not deter me. I also want to find some more of her novels...

Margot Kinberg said...

I have not read Carson McCullers in years, Patti. Good to be reminded of her work.

pattinase (abbott) said...

The story she wrote at age 20 is pretty amazing.
I meant to read FEBRUARY HOUSE when it first came out. Or maybe I did?

Casual Debris said...

I've always admired McCullers as a short story writer. I discovered her years ago with The Ballad of the Sad Café collection. Sad Café was adapted for the screen by Edward Albee. The story from the collection "A Domestic Dilemma," which deals with alcoholism (the wife is the alcoholic) was adapted in the early 90s with Ray Liotta and Andie McDowell. I haven't (yet) read her novels. Sadly she was only 50 when she passed.