Friday, March 29, 2024

FFB-Wednesday's Child, Peter Robinson

 

In an early book of his Inspector Banks series, two cases are presented. In one, a small girl is taken out of her mother's house on the pretext of an accusation of child endangerment. The second case concerns a young man who is viciously murdered in a mine. Robinson is a master at providing enough details to make the cases interesting and also in telling you enough about Banks' life that you can follow his trajectory from book to book. This book is especially memorable (or horrific) in that the child's mother has so little feeling for her. And the ending will leave you wondering what next? This was a nominee for an Edgar in 1995.

5 comments:

Jeff Meyerson said...

I read all of the Banks series, including the short stories, from the beginning. I liked them, obviously, or I wouldn't have kept reading them., but some of the later ones, with their obsession with trafficking, got a little tedious.

pattinase (abbott) said...

That became a theme with a lot of recent series. I am thinking of Henning Mankell in particular.

Todd Mason said...

It's a too-convenient hook. And a too-common situation in reality at the same time. The latter fact not a new one.

TracyK said...

I have only read 3 books in the series, the first three. But I have the next three, including this one. I remember that I enjoyed the last one I read and liked the characterizations and relationships.

Do One Thing said...

Hindi Bible - Bible in Hindi - Psalms and Proverbs in Hindi - Bhajan Sanhita Niti Vachan - Dharam Granth
Hindi Bible - Bible in Hindi - Psalms and Proverbs in Hindi - Bhajan Sanhita Niti Vachan - Dharam Granthdolat kitab