Friday, November 11, 2022

FFB: THE LONELY CITY, Olivia Laing

 




THE LONELY CITY was published in 2016, a few years before the pandemic's enforced isolation when a lot of people would feel loneliness, perhaps for the first time. I have been looking for books on this subject. I am not sure if I am lonely or just dislike being alone for extended periods. Although this was not quite the discussion I was looking for, it was a very interesting book. 

Laing is alone in the city and feeling isolated. She goes on to discuss, male artists mostly, that were known for sharing their loneliness through their art. Hopper comes first and certainly his paintings reflect that: empty rooms, women staring out windows, a diner at night. She also examines the life and work of Andy Warhol, David Wojnarowicz, Henry Darger, and various scientists searching for an AIDS vaccine or cure. 

Laing also wrote the terrific THE TRIP TO ECHO SPRINGS: ON WRITERS AND DRINKING


4 comments:

Margot Kinberg said...

What an interesting focus for the book, Patti. I sometimes think we all feel alone at times. It can be helpful, I think, to realize that just about everyone feels that way.

Todd Mason said...

Well, indeed, solitude has its advantages at times, but we are at base social, even more than many other mammals (and my t key keeps failing)(I miss it, as I paste it in). Is she related o R.D. Laing, I wonder, and shall Go Look.

Being alone when one had a nearly lifelong mate in every sense can only be wrenching...all my passages to solo living have tended to be disruptions, so hay colors my experience.

Todd Mason said...

Laing is apparently unrelated to R. D., and may consider themself a they, as they are reportedly trans and non-binary.

TM said...

Hay colors everything.