Wednesday, October 13, 2021

Short Story Wednesday "Torch Song" John Cheever

Jack Lorey and Joan, both natives of Ohio, meet up again in New York City in the 1930s. Joan is a "big" handsome girl and after failing at a try at modeling becomes a hostess in a restaurant. Jack and Joan meet up, mostly at her parties, over a number of years. Each time, she is with another man who is either ill or will become ill soon after. Is she attracted to such men or is it bad luck? Jack also had a number of bad relationships and more and more they are drawn to each other. The war comes and goes and both of them age and Jack at some point resembles the ne'er do wells Joan is attracted to. 

At the story's end Jack accuses Joan of being a crow, who comes into feed on the sick and dying. I read this story in American Fantastic Tales and it took me quite a few pages before I began to see how it fit into this book. Why was it a fantastic story because it many ways it read like a typical Cheever story about suburbia. By the end, I believed Joan was a carrion, feeding on such men. Or is she a vampire feeding on the blood of the men. Or possibly she is death itself, bringing illness to every man who comes home with her? A very interesting story and of course, wonderfully written. You can find it online, I think. The New Yorker published it too. 

Kevin Tipple

Jerry House 

George Kelley 

Richard Robinson

6 comments:

Margot Kinberg said...

I must read more Cheever than I have, Patti. I often wonder why it is that we like an author's work a lot, and then just don't follow up on it...

pattinase (abbott) said...

So many books, so little time.

Jeff Meyerson said...

Nice one. I read his collection STORIES and this was definitely in it, but I don't really remember it other than vaguely.

I'm reading the Sarah Weinman-edited anthology you reviewed recently, TROUBLED DAUGHTERS, TWISTED WIVES. One chilling, nasty little story that even Weinman says doesn't really belong here because it is all about men, is Dorothy Salisbury Davis's "Lost Generation." There is an early, creepy Patricia Highsmith tale about a very needy nanny, "The Heroine," and "Everybody Needs a Mink," by Dorothy B. Hughes, among the stories I hadn't read before. I had previously read Shirley Jackosn's "Louisa, Please Come Home" and Margaret Millar's "The People Across the Canyon."

TracyK said...

You are so right, Patti. There is just not enough time to read all the short stories (and other fiction) I want to read. I am pretty sure I have not read anything by Cheever. I can see that there are lots of collections of his short stories out there and I will be on the lookout for one.

Rick Robinson said...

I think you mean she is a carrion-eater, not carrion herself. I like Cheever in small doses and have a large collection I’ve been nibbling at for what seems like years. Thanks for the reminder.

George said...

I've read all of John Cheever's short stories and novels. The man was brilliant, but troubled.