Friday, September 17, 2021

FFB: IN THE MORNING I'LL BE GONE


IN THE MORNING I'LL BE GONE, Adrian McKinty

This is the third book of what Adrian McKinty calls THE TROUBLES TRILOGY.  This book won the Ned Kelly Award and I enjoyed it immensely. It's a locked room murder inside a story of the "troubles." I have not read the first two books so that probably factors into a certain lack of knowledge of the character and his problems with the Royal Ulster Constabulary,

Sean Duffy has a chance for reinstatement in the local forces if he is able to find the whereabouts of an infamous IRA member. The two were childhood friends so this gives him a certain insight into the terrorist. The deal with those who can tell him Dermot's whereabouts is to solve the locked room murder of their daughter a few years back. And watching Duffy solve this crime is enjoyable. McKinty writes very clearly and yet doesn't repeat himself. It's a pleasure to be led through the clues by such a good plotter.

Also enjoyable is McKinty's use of Joseph Kennedy Jr. on a trip to Belfast. And the final scenes, which take place during Margaret Thatcher's stay in a Brighton Hotel, are exciting. I liked the style of writing and the cast of characters a lot. We get some of Duffy's life but not enough to slow the action down. I also really like the single POV in this book. It does make following a plot easier. Highly recommended for crime fiction lovers.


 Megan's Noirwich Lecture on True Crime.

7 comments:

Steve A Oerkfitz said...

I'm a big fan of McKinty. Especially the Sea Duffy novels of which there are 6 now.

Margot Kinberg said...

I think the Sean DUffy character is really interesting, Patti, and I do like McKinty's way of placing the reader in the setting and time. Glad you enjoyed this.

Jeff Meyerson said...

I agree with Steve. Read ALL the Duffy novels. (#7 - THE DETECTIVE UP LATE - is scheduled for this year.) McKinty lived in New York in the '90s.

George said...

I've enjoyed all of Adrian McKinty's books. The Sean Duffy series got better with each book!

Dana King said...

I second (third? Fourth?) all the above comments about Adrian McKinty and the Duffy books. I'd lso like to thank you for writing a actual review, and not what is too often passed off as a review these days, which is a book report (plot description) with "I liked it" or "I didn't like it" at the end.

Rick Robinson said...

These are new to me (I must live under a rock), but your strong review tempts me greatly. I’ll look for the first in the series.

Rick Robinson said...

I have put a hold on the first, THE COLD, COLD GROUND.