Friday, January 22, 2021

FFB DIRTY WORK, Larry Brown

(from the archives)

DIRTY WORK is the debut novel from Mississippi writer, Larry Brown, and it seemed appropriate to read it around Veteran's Day since that's its subject matter. I picked it up in Mississippi last month and just wish I had picked up more of them. I have RABBIT FACTORY around somewhere and will dig it out now.

Walter James and Braiden Chaney are two Vietnam Vets lying side by side in a Vet hospital 20 years after the war. Chaney has basically spent the entire time in a hospital since the war left him with no arms or legs. James is newly admitted with some sort of brain trauma from a bullet lodge in his head. He has also been badly scarred from his years in Vietnam. 
  
The two men eventually trade war stories, but this book does much more than that. It painted the lives of the sort of men who couldn't dodge the war--the down and dirty life they led in northern Mississippi. Much of Chaney's thoughts are dream-induced and almost biblical in theme. Who could spend 20 years in a bed and not retreat to such a place?

The two men do a lot of drinking with the beer Chaney's sister smuggles in.  They also smoke a lot of pot. Their stories are different and the same. It was men like these two who served in Vietnam and never recovered from it. They either died in body or died in spirit. An amazing and thought-provoking book.

 

13 comments:

Margot Kinberg said...

What an innovative way to comment on the war and on what it did to people, Patti. I always prefer books that look at historical events from the perspectives of individual people.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Exactly, Margot. Very talented writer.

George said...

I'll have to look for DIRTY WORK. Sounds compelling. My favorite post-Vietnam War novel is Robert Stone's DOG SOLDIERS.

Jeff Meyerson said...

I agree - very good book. Of course, it made me think of Dalton Trumbo's JOHNNY GOT HIS GUN, which the author adapted in 1971 (and directed) into a film starring Timothy Bottoms. I've read a lot of Brown's books and really should catch up on the ones I've missed. He died way too young.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I think the only other one I read was Rabbit Factory. I have never seen the Trumbo or read Dog Soldiers. I have by far read/seen the most novels/movies about Vietnam.

Steve Oerkfitz said...

A big fan of Larry Brown. I think I read everything of his. Joe was made into a pretty good movie with Nicolas Cage. Cage gives a good understated performance.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I will look for it. Megan has been touting his performance in BRINGING OUT THE DEAD.

Steven A Oerkfitz said...

Bringing Out the Dead is also good, but then it is a Martin Scorsese film.

Jeff Meyerson said...

I read BRINGING OUT THE DEAD and the movie was good too. Cage was better than usual.

I've read Brown's short stories - FACING THE MUSIC and BIG BAD LOVE - and his autobiography - ON FIRE. Patti, you should definitely read them.

I read the Trumbo book in the '70s. Also saw the movie.

TracyK said...

Sounds very good. I haven't read much about the Vietnam war and this book is new to me.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I will get on it. Thanks. Best book about Vietnam for me is THE THINGS THEY CARRIED by Tim O'Brien-short stories. Best movie; GO TELL THE SPARTANS.

Jeff Meyerson said...

I agree. I can remember seeing GO TELL THE SPARTANS in the early '80s. It was one of the "small" movies HBO would show each month and I was glad I watched it. The O'Brien is a terrific book.

David Cranmer said...

I should have read this years ago. Really admire his work and the documentary made before he died is such a riveting watch.