Friday, October 23, 2020

FFB: THE END OF EVERYTHING, Megan Abbott

THE END OF EVERYTHING, Megan Abbott


Thirteen-year old Lizzie Hood and her next door neighbor, Evie Verver, are inseparable. They're best friends who swap bathing suits and field-hockey sticks, and share everything that's happened to them. Together they live in the shadow of Evie's glamorous older sister, Dusty, who provides a window on the exotic, intoxicating possibilities of their own teenage horizons. To Lizzie, the Verver household, presided over by Evie's big-hearted father, is the world's most perfect place.

And then, one afternoon, Evie disappears. The only clue: a maroon sedan Lizzie spotted driving past the two girls earlier in the day. As a rabid, giddy panic spreads through the Midwestern suburban community, everyone looks to Lizzie for answers. Was Evie unhappy, troubled, upset? Had she mentioned being followed? Would she have gotten into the car of a stranger?

Lizzie takes up her own furtive pursuit of the truth, prowling nights through backyards, peering through windows, pushing herself to the dark center of Evie's world. Haunted by dreams of her lost friend and titillated by her own new power at the center of the disappearance, Lizzie uncovers secrets and lies that make her wonder if she knew her best friend at all. 

*I am not sure I wrote this back in 2010. It may have been Megan or perhaps someone from Little Brown. But here it is, one of my very favorite of Megan's books. 

 

Mr. Verver is one of my favorite characters from Megan's books. 

 

12 comments:

Margot Kinberg said...

That one is a great one, Patti! So many themes and characters, and I give Megan credit for writing through the eyes of a child, so to speak. Not easy to do.

Jeff Meyerson said...

Yes, she really did an excellent job of making you see and feel what Lizzie did. Nice one.

George said...

THE END OF EVERYTHING may have kicked off the beginning of everything for Megan! Suddenly, Megan was on everyone's radar. Her TV opportunities blossomed, there was movie buzz, and Megan seemed to be reviewing books in the NYTBR and other major publications on a regular basis!

Cullen Gallagher said...

I loved this book, as I've loved everything Megan has written.

David Cranmer said...

My thoughts are identical to Cullen's. And to add: she's an extraordinary talent.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Thank you!

TracyK said...

I have only read Queenpin so far. That one gripped me and I was tense the whole time I was reading it. This one sounds very good. And the one coming out in 2021 sounds good too. Megan must do a lot of research for her books.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Megan works from dawn to dusk, 7 days a week. If I only had 1/4 of her dedication.

Todd Mason said...

She might be notably more energetic, but she still clearly takes after her parents in terms of literary production...

pattinase (abbott) said...

I am a slacker nowadays.

Rick Robinson said...

My earlier longish comment disappeared so I'll try again with this: a very good book indeed, by a fine author.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Sorry, Rick. And thanks.