Friday, January 03, 2020

FFB




PRIVATE DEMONS, THE LIFE OF SHIRLEY JACKSON, Judy Oppenheimer

I read this book in December, 1987, being a big fan of Shirley Jackson all my life. I once had a nice fat collection of Jackson's work, which was damaged by ice that broke through our ceiling, soaking everything beneath. I have never replaced most of it unfortunately. But I think I've probably read most of the collected pieces of fiction she wrote and all of the novels, enjoying the domestic stories as much as the very dark ones.
Her bifurcated writing interests seem like two sides of a very familiar coin.

This book, and there may be a newer one by now, tries and succeeds in explaining much about Jackson's life. Raised by an abusive mother, married to a man (esteemed literary critic, Stanley Hyman) who recognized her brilliance but didn't let that interfere with his affairs, Jackson managed to write some of the most original stories of her era. She feared anonymity after death; feared the public would not understand the meaning of her stories. Jackson's accounts of family life (RAISING DEMONS, LIFE AMONG THE SAVAGES) are as much fun to read as her darker novels and stories. Oppenheimer is very skilled at tying incidents in Jackson's life to stories she wrote at the time. She uses interviews and anecdotes to great effect. If you want to understand where stories like THE LOTTERY came from, this book will help.

A movie about Shirley Jackson is scheduled for release in 2020. 



14 comments:

Steve Oerkfitz said...

Loved The Haunting of Hill House and We Have Always Lived in the Castle. My favorite short story of hers is The Summer People. Never read her domestics.

Margot Kinberg said...

Oh, this sounds really interesting, Patti! She was an interesting person, and her stories were fantastic.

Jerry House said...

This one has been on my radar for over 30 years, though not high enough for me to make any special effort to get a copy. This may change after reading your review, Patti.

Jeff Meyerson said...

I loved Life Among the Savages and Raising Demons when I read them years ago, and more recently (a few years back?) bought them again for future rereading. You would never know this was the same person who wrote The Haunting of Hill House or The Lottery.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Her domestics are very different. Almost a split personality. I like everything she wrote.

George said...

Like Steve, I'm a fan of THE HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE and WE HAVE ALWAY LIVED IN THE CASTLE. I have a collection of her short stories waiting to be read.

Rick Robinson said...

I've only read the "famous ones" by her. Maybe I should try one of the others.

TracyK said...

This sounds like a very good book, Patti. I have not read much by Jackson and did not even know she had written domestics. I will have to read those too.

Jerry House said...

A good indication of Jackson's talent can be found in her story "Charles." I first read it in one of her humorous books (either LIFE AMONG THE SAVAGES or RAISING DEMONS, can't remember which) and found it hilariously funny. Later, when I read it in her collection THE LOTTERY, it came across as darkly disturbing and menacing. My two opposing reactions stunned me and I have been a fan ever since.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Very eager to read Charles. Yes, the domestics are so very different than the rest.

Todd Mason said...

Humor and horror often two sides of the same coin. Certainly among what I tend to think of as her peer group: Robert Bloch, Muriel Spark, John Collier, Margaret St. Clair, Friz Lieber, Theodore Sturgeon, Evelyn Waugh, Patricia Highsmih.


Apologies to the assembled for the repeated late appearances of FFB...this weekend, the other distractions have been augmented by back trouble and alimentary fun. Ah, the seasons, and the seasons of life. Two CF friendly acquaintances facing bigger problems, as well, as reported in the last several days.

Todd Mason said...

And Avram Davidson.

Jeff Meyerson said...

It was the former.

Mathew Paust said...

Time to get this book! Bring on the movie!