Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Miami Blues

Wow! I loved this book. I also loved Pickup but it's hard to belive it's the same author, even if many years separate the two novels. Pickup could have been written by William Kennedy. It barely feels like a crime novel-it's about down on their heels drunks, stumbling through life. It's heartbreaking, tragic.
Miami Blues could have been written yesteday by any of a bunch of current writers, except Willeford is better, making it impossible to put down. It's funny, scary and quick.
What should I read next and can I find it here in NY? I hope so.
I want more. Give me more.

2 comments:

Graham Powell said...

It's funny, some writers just seem to be stuck in the wrong time. Willeford's darkly comic stories seem to fit the current style.

pattinase (abbott) said...

My son-in-law just recommended Tom Drury. Have you read him?