Sunday, June 10, 2007

The Trouble With Trolls (the real kind)


Yesterday I met a five year old who immediately informed me that he had heard that I had written a story about trolls and he would like to read it. This very precocious boy insisted that he could read the scariest stuff I could come up with and go away unscathed, that, in fact, he was ready to take on Night of the Living Dead and Scream should his parents come to their senses. He shared with me several books featuring pretty scary stuff including versions of the mask here.


In my story in Thuglit, the trolls were dully human and barely suitable reading for adults so I promised the child I would write a story about trolls just for him. I know nothing about trolls. Are there any troll experts out there trolling by. Are trolls usually short or am I confusing them with dwarves? I have an idea if shortness is involved. Are they always evil? Maybe this story will turn out to be scarier than the Thuglit one.

4 comments:

Christa M. Miller said...

I have a troll in my house. He's almost 4, and all the human children in preschool know exactly what he is. They come up to him when he arrives and say, "Are you a troll?" and he screams "YES!" and chases them around and around. He likes Flavor Blasted (cheddar) Goldfish most of all, and if he lived under a bridge, he'd spend all his time looking at the spiderwebs and touching the spiders.

That is what I know about trolls. :)

pattinase (abbott) said...

Wow. Are they cloned? Wonder why the obsession with clones? Was there a movie or TV show? With my kid at five, it was godzilla.

Dave White said...

Off topic, but... soooo what'd you think?

pattinase (abbott) said...

I thought it was brilliant after some thought. Much like they seduced A.J. with a club and a BMW, and A.J's shrink with the story of Tony's mother, Tony and Carm seduced us. We are part and parcel of that group at the table, waiting for the narrative to begin again, willing to risk whatever may come to hear the story. I loved it. It was the best series ever. And Chase managed to be original and true to his vision until the end.